Informed Comment

Thoughts on the Middle East, History, and Religion

Juan Cole is President of the Global Americana Institute

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Dulaim Chief's Murder Splits Iraqis

Guerrillas detonated another bomb in Baghdad on Tuesday, killing 2 and wounding another 2.

The murder of Khadim Sarhid al-Hamaiyim, leader of a branch of the Dulaim tribe, on the outskirts of Baghdad, has been interpreted in different ways by Iraq's ethnic groups. The hard line Sunni Association of Muslim Scholars pointed out that the attackers had been wearing Iraqi army uniforms, and said that the attack was the work of fanatical Shiites who had infiltrated the Iraqi military. A police major named Falah al-Muhammadawi replied that uniforms are easily bought in today's Iraq, and even official army vehicles are often stolen. Al-Muhammadawi was trying to convince us that the Iraqi army was not behind the killing, but I fear he has only convinced us that the security situation in Baghdad is truly awful.

You could easily construct a narrative wherein al-Hamaiyim was killed by Sunni Arab guerrillas to punish his brother for being willing to run for parliament. The guerrillas have forbidden Sunni Arabs from participating in politics under the shadow of foreign occupation. But it is also possible that Shiite militiamen who had joined the army were extracting revenge for the alliance with Saddam in which some tribal leaders had acquiesced.

Al-Sharq al-Awasat/ AFP is reporting that young Shiite nationalist Muqtada al-Sadr has given blanket permission to his own followers to participate in the elections. He said he hoped that they would hasten the departure of the "Occupying forces."

4 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement, Greater Damascus Regional Chapter

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect, to think about all our blessings. To look back over the last year, the friends we have made, the good times we have shared. Aw, heck. We know that's not true. It's a time to conspicuously engorge ourselves on all the excess we can muster, in a warm-up for the over-the-top shop-fest of the Christmas season.

But if I were to reflect on what I am thankful for, I would put together a list something like this: I am thankful for my excellent wife who is also my best friend, my two girls who are parts of my very soul, for my mom and dad without whom I would be nothing, for my sister and my brother-in-law and my handsome and bright young nephew, Yusuf. I am thankful for my friends, my teachers, my heroes, my brain, my heart, my dreams, the time I have been given, every morsel that has passed over my table, and the wealth, however meagre, I have enjoyed. I am thankful to live in such a great country as Syria and to spend time living and learning with its people.

Amongst the things I am also thankful for on this consumately American holiday are people like Henry David Thoreau, who make being American worth it; Thoreau, the voice crying in the New England wilderness, who said, "If...the machine of government...is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law." I am thankful for Americans like the ever cantankerous desert rebel Edward Abbey, who said, "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." I am thankful above all on this Thanksgiving day for inimitable, irreplacable, indefectible Americans like Arlo Guthrie, who famously said, "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant."

And so to our dear President George and his sidekicks Dick and Don, I dedicate a bar of this holiday tune: "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant." And to their indispensible counterparts Bin Laden, Zawahiri, and Zarqawi, I sing, "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant." To Ariel and Ahmedinejad, to the late Martyr Hariri, to whoever killed him, and to his little tyke Saad I sing out loud, "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant." To all the guys with the big guns, the guys who got nothing better to do than to scare the hell out of ordinary people just trying to get on, I sing it again and again. And you, dear reader, I hope you will join in!

http://www.readingeagle.com/blog/syria/

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger sherm said...

How about some speculation on what kind of country Iraq would turn out to be if all the insurgent violence stopped today, and foreverafter.

Is the level of corruption, street crime, vendetta, religious orthodoxy, material greed, administrative incompetence, and other bad things I can't think of, too intense for emergence of a benign egalitarian state?

Are there inherent unifying social and civil characteristics that can be harnessed to produce such a state?

Is widespread abject poverty seen as an undesireable condition or a ignorable reality of civilization?

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timothy Garton-Ash has an op-ed about Iran in today's Guardian, and mentions in passing, "Elements connected to the regime have almost certainly supplied weapons across the frontier into southern Iraq, where they are used to kill British soldiers."

I remember that you explained a while ago why it would be extremely odd for Iran to be arming insurgents since it has plenty of friends in the government. Since this story hasn't gone away, it might be worth repeating your explanation.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sherm above asked:
"Is the level of corruption, street crime, vendetta, religious orthodoxy, material greed, administrative incompetence, and other bad things I can't think of, too intense for emergence of a benign egalitarian state?"

Which country are you asking about? Iraq or the USA?
John

 

Post a Comment

<< Home