Informed Comment

Thoughts on the Middle East, History, and Religion

Juan Cole is President of the Global Americana Institute

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Postcript on Blogging

Matthew Haughey says his posting about being tired of seeing the phrase "mainstream media" used by bloggers was "tongue-in-cheek" and that we should "unclench." I should say that I think Matthew's work at metafilter and his postings are thought provoking and progressive and I am grateful for them, and I meant nothing personal at all in my own critique of his insistence that there is no distinction between the MSM and bloggers. We academics are used to debating ideas without (usually) taking it personally, so I hope he understands that I was just responding to a posting, not to him. And, for my purposes, it doesn't matter how serious he was, since the view expressed is widespread and needs to be interrogated. It is about the ideas. Still friends?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home